repairing an old door frame or jamb


I live in a pretty old house, and it still has a few original internal features left. Unfortunately, since the house probably over 100 years old, not everything is in peak condition. The door between the living room and the dinning room was hanging quite badly, and since tightening the screws in the hinge didn't fix the problem of the door dragging on the carpet, further action needed to be taken.


As you can see, the screw holes are rather large and the wood is split and splintered. Attempts to patch up the holes had already been made, so I had to remove all the old bits of wood and remaining screws.






Next was a trip to B&Q to buy some 9mm and 6mm doweling to allow me to patch up the holes. Using a small knife I whittled a little of the bottom of the doweling to allow it fit snugly into the holes, then marked the doweling with a pen so that I could saw it make exact fitting pegs






The dowels which I cut were then liberally doused with wood glue, popped into the holes and tapped into place with a hammer. I left the glue over night to dry.




Next came round one of the wood filler, applied with a small trowel (or whatever, I think you could get away with using a clean table knife if you didn't have a spatula or trowel), which was left to dry for about 12 hours before applying level two
Then came the second layer of wood filler, which was left to dry over night and then sanded down. The big test came when I screwed the hinge back in palce - surprisingly (for me) the door fitted back in the frame and has been sat happily opening and closing for well over 3 weeks now.

I'm quite impressed with my attempt to fix something... maybe I'll change the washer in the bathroom tap next                                                  

0 comments:

Post a Comment